Learn how to clean a shag rug as shag rugs do require more maintenance to look good! Shag rugs are as popular today as they were in the 80s and 90s. They can easily add a designer touch and are warm and cozy underfoot. However, their soft and fluffy fibers are not the easiest accessories to clean. In today’s post, I will show you how to clean a shag rug at home. There are different kinds and styles of shag rugs in the market. Each one needs to be cleaned and cared for differently depending on its material. Let’s now check out how to clean a shag rug.
How To Clean A Shag Rug?
In this section, I will explain how to clean a shag rug in detail. Shag rugs can add a retro ambiance to any space but cleaning them can get a little fuzzy. They can prone to catching and concealing dirt, crumbs, hair, and other small items.
Simply follow our easy steps for a carefree introduction to how to clean a shag rug.
- If your shag rug is small enough to pick up easily, simply take it outside your house.
- Now, give it a good shake.
- This will help you to get rid of dust and dirt trapped in the fibers.
- You can even drape the rug over a railing or sturdy clothesline if your rug is too large.
- Then, beat it with a broom or old tennis racket.
- Leave the rug for a couple of hours in a sunny location to kill bacteria and dust mites.
This is one of the easiest ways to keep a shag carpet looking its shaggy best! This guide also covers some other best practices for deep-clean shag rugs. Let us now check out how to vacuum a shag rug.
Clean A Shag Rug By Vacuuming
Another super easy way to clean a dirty shag rug is to vacuum it! Follow these steps to learn how to clean a shag rug.
- First, set the vacuum cleaner’s head to a high pile.
- This will help you to control suction and make the head glide more easily.
- Now, suction out the dirt thoroughly from one side.
- Then, flip over your shag rug exposing its woven underside.
- Here, use the vacuum’s beater bar to remove more dirt.
- Keep vacuuming the backside until no dirt is visible on the sheet.
The steps will be the same for how to clean a large shag rug. Make sure you don’t use the vacuum’s beater bar or power head on a shag rug. This can snag, pull, or tear out strands due to the whirling action.
Vacuuming a shag rug is very different than vacuuming other rugs because it can easily disturb its original shape. Therefore, ensure that you use a vacuum cleaner meant for shag piles like a high-pile-carpet vacuum.
You can keep on reading further to learn more about how to clean a shag rug by using other cleaning methods.
Clean A Shag Rug By Steam
As shag rugs are very thick, they can hold moisture for a long time. You can easily clean the deepest messes out of shag rugs with a steam cleaner. Follow these steps to learn how to steam clean a shag rug.
- For this method, you may need to either buy or rent a steam cleaner.
- Lay your shag rug outside and give it a good shake or beating.
- Thoroughly vacuum the top and back of the rug to remove any dirt and debris.
- Now, place a plastic tarp or plastic sheet below the rug before you move to the next step.
- Follow the instructions given on the steam cleaner to steam clean the rug.
- Once you’re done, dry the rug by using a fan to blow air across it for a couple of hours.
Shaggy rugs absorb a lot of water because of which they can stay wet for a long time. Make sure you dry the rug properly and then use it. Tarp won’t let any moisture become trapped between the rug and the floor.
You can keep on reading to learn more about how to clean a shag rug.
Clean A Shag Rug By Giving A Dry Bath
Now, you must be wondering can you shampoo a shag rug? You can quickly refresh your shag rug by simply giving it a dry shampoo bath. You can follow these steps to learn how to keep a shag rug clean.
- Lay your shag rug outside and give it a good shake or beating.
- Thoroughly vacuum the top and back of the rug to remove excess dirt and debris.
- Now, sprinkle dry rug shampoo all over your dirty rug.
- Let it sit on the rug for a while (usually about one hour).
- Then, gently rub the dry shampoo deeper into the rug with a carpet brush.
- Once you’re done cleaning, vacuum over the rug to remove the dry shampoo granules.
You can follow the same steps to learn how to deep clean a shag rug. Make sure you read the dry carpet shampoo label to ensure that the product is right for your carpet fibers. For the best results, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for how long to leave the shampoo on the rug.
Note: You can use a bit more dry shampoo in stained areas and brush it in well.
Do not panic if the kids spill a little juice or you accidentally spill wine over your shag rug. Keep on reading to find out how to clean a shag rug and remove such stains.
Spot Clean A Shag Rug
When stains occur on a shag rug, it’s best to treat those spills right away! Instead of deep cleaning, spot treating is the best way to treat a specific stain in a specific place. You can follow these steps to learn how to clean a shag rug by spot-treating stains.
- If the spills are fresh, bolt them with a microfiber cloth or paper towels.
- Otherwise, use a spoon to remove any stains that are solidified like mud or food.
- Prepare a cleaning solution by mixing one part of water with one part of distilled white vinegar.
- Dip a clean cloth in this mixture and blot it over the stain.
- After cleaning the stains, make sure you hang the rug up to dry.
You can even treat deeper stains with dish soap and warm water. Just flip the rug over and treat the stain with this mixture. Once you are done with the cleaning, blot the stain with a cloth dampened with warm water.
Note: The longer you wait the tougher it will become to remove the stain, so make sure you treat the stain quickly!
Clean A Shag Rug By Professionals
Sometimes, we don’t have enough time to clean the shag rug by ourselves. You can hand it over to the people who know how to clean a shag rug. Professional rug cleaners can fully deep clean your shag rug with the correct equipment, techniques, and products. These experts will surely get the job done correctly. Remember that this cleaning method can be a bit expensive ($175 to $750).
You can keep on reading to learn more about how to clean a shag rug by its type.
Clean White Shag Rug
A white shag rug can add elegance to your room but can also get dirty very easily. Knowing how to clean a white shag rug is important to keep your classic white rug crisp and clean. For cleaning, you can vacuum your rug starting with the back to loosen dirt within the fibers. Simply shaking the rug vigorously will also remove dirt, debris, and crumbs from the rug.
Clean Wool Shag Rug
Wool shag rugs are very shaggy in appearance but are thick and soft too. You can prefer the above cleaning methods to learn how to clean a shag rug (wool). Spot-cleaning your wool rugs with vinegar or baking soda can help you to remove any spills or stains.
Now, you must be thinking about how to clean a fluffy carpet without a vacuum. Vacuuming can remove dirt/debris from your rug but it can disturb its original shape if not done with caution. If you know how to clean a fluffy rug by hand, you’re sorted. Simply give your rug a good shake and clean it thoroughly by using a carpet brush.
Clean A Polyester Shaggy Rug
It’s best to use a vacuum cleaner or the shaking method when it comes to how to clean a polyester shaggy rug. This ensures it remains in good condition for many years.
Learn more about similar topics like these on Clynerr
How Do You Clean And Wash A Shaggy Rug?
Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle or bucket to treat the rug. Move the rug outside to a flat work surface covered with a tarp, and spray or sponge on the solution. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Use a soft bristle brush to remove any stains, if necessary.
How Do I Make My Shaggy Rug Fluffy Again?
This process involves dabbing a clean towel in ice water or normal water and placing them over dented areas of your rug. Then, you hit up an iron and gently rub it over the moist towel and keep it there for a while. After the towel has dried up and you take it off, you fluff up the area with your hand and voila!
Can I Power Wash My Shaggy Rug?
If your rugs are looking dingy and you want to brighten them up, a pressure washer can do the trick. A pressure washer uses high-pressure water spray to remove loose dirt and grime, and it can get your area rugs looking great.
Can You Use A Carpet Shampooer On A Shaggy Rug?
Your shag carpet likely comes with specific instructions for a deep clean. If the tag lists water as an appropriate cleaning method, a rented carpet cleaner will perfectly clean your shag rug with a mix of hot water and carpet shampoo. Simply hang dry your rug outside when you are finished.
In the above post, I’ve explained how to clean a shag rug in detail. The shaking method can easily remove dust and debris from your small rug. For larger rugs, you can use a vacuum cleaner or steam cleaner. It is crucial to keep a long shag rug clean daily if possible or weekly at a minimum. It’s best to steam-clean your shag rugs at least once or twice a year. You can also give your shag rug a dry shampoo bath for a deep clean. By learning how to clean a shag rug, you can help to restore the beauty that your rug adds to your home!
How do you make a shaggy rug fluffy again